ALOHA, ALL!! So what can we expect in the final debate between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney? Since the focus of this match will be foreign policy, Obama will be grasping at straws….anything…to make it seem like he’s been a formidable leader of the free world. Another epic fail. Dick Morris published what he called a “Roadmap for Monday’s Debate.” It could be titled a “Roadmap of Obama’s Foreign Policy Failures.” To wit:
There is a temptation to get lost in the weeds of when Obama recognized that the Libya attack was, indeed, an act of terror. But the key point is that Obama treated the video as a provocation for the attack as if they had a moral equivalency. Otherwise, why constantly mention the video in the same breath as the attack? Why run an ad apologizing for the video in Pakistan? Why address the video in his U.N. speech? It may be a bridge too far to convince people that Obama was engaged in a cover-up for political purposes trying to convince people there was no premeditated terror attack. But surely there is no good reason for lumping the attack and video together. It’s like saying “he murdered this guy but only after the guy called him a dirty word.”
But, beyond the specifics of Libya, a 2011 national survey by Pat Caddell and John McLaughlin provides the key lines of attack Romney should follow in the foreign policy debate coming up on Monday.
• Obama’s outreach to the Muslim world has decreased our national security. 30% believe it has increased our security and 47% feel it has decreased it. Romney should attack Obama for naïveté in his dealing with the Arab world and for not seizing and holding the moral high ground but instead seeking to understand the other guy and give him the benefit of the doubt.
• Romney should stress that Obama’s policy toward Iran will not stop it from developing nuclear weapons. By 77-10 voters agree that they will not stop Iran. Asked what he would do, he should say that he will support Israel if she has to take military action against Iran. He should say that he does not believe we need to commit US soldiers or aircraft but that we should provide Israel with the ordinance they need to destroy the Iranian missile sites. If Obama says this could lead to a general war, Romney should say that a strong posture does not cause wars, but a weak one does. He should say that if the US makes clear that it will help Israel if it comes down to that, then Iran will realize that it must curtail its weapons program. In the meantime, Romney should stress the need to support the democratic opposition to the Ayatollah. If it ultimately has to come down to a war, better now before they have nuclear weapons than after they get them.
• Romney should attack Obama for failing to discipline China. He needs to explain that we sell only $50 billion to China and buy $400 billion from them (check numbers). With the rest of the world, we hold our own in trade. That’s because of currency manipulation. Obama is frightened that China will stop lending us money. But he doesn’t understand that China lends us money because they have to. The buy dollars and sell Yuan to keep the Yuan weak so Chinese products are cheaper in the US. Then what are they going to do with all those dollars? Bet them in Vegas? They buy T bills with them. That’s all they can do and that’s how the lend us the money. If they stopped manipulating, we wouldn’t need their money because we’d have an even balance of trade with the. By 20-75 voters do not believe Obama has been tough enough with China and most see fear of their no longer lending us money is the reason.
• Romney should attack Obama’s advocacy of an 80% cut in our strategic arsenal with no reciprocal cuts from Russia or China. By 22-64 voters oppose Obama’s position.
• He should go after Obama for cutting American defense spending too much. By 32-58, voters believe the cuts are “way too deep.”
• Romney should press Obama about what he meant by giving him more space with Russia after the election. Most likely, he was referring to a commitment by us that we would not orbit anti-missile satellites, a key concession which would make Iran and North Korea even more dangerous.
• Romney should criticize Obama for equating Israel and the Palestinians as two morally equivalent sides of a dispute. He should say: “If the Arabs laid down their arms, there would be no war. If Israel laid down its arms, there would be no Israel.”
• Romney should attack Islamic fundamentalism for its attitude toward women and criticize Obama’s political correctness and refusal to face up to the threat it poses. He should, for example, criticize him for removing any references to Muslim extremism from FBI training manuals and his firing of good conscientious FBI agents for being Islamophobic.
These are the milestones to a successful debate. (Published on dickmorris.com, October 19, 2012)
All about Bob. The Bias of Bob Schieffer – Top 7 Moments “Schieffer has steadfastly refused to acknowledge his biases over the years. But his words below speak for themselves. Can he contain himself tonight? Like Crowley, he’s signaled to the media that he will “interject” himself to stop candidate “filibuster[ing]” when necessary.”
Gee….could this be a blatant attempt to skew the election? US Officials Say Iran Has Agreed To Nuclear Talks “Iranian officials have insisted that the talks wait until after the presidential election, a senior administration official said, telling their American counterparts that they want to know with whom they would be negotiating.” And: Iran Deal The October Surprise? “Will Obama announce a deal with Iran for a moratorium on the enrichment of uranium in return for the dismantling of some of the international sanctions against the regime? And will the announcement be timed to appear just before the election?”
Gee….ya think the US press would give Romney a pass if this were his campaign? Obama Campaign Accepted UK Donation “President Barack Obama’s online donation site has accepted illegal donations from a foreign citizen, while Gov. Mitt Romney’s site rejected a donation from the same man, according to a New York Post article.”
Gee…could the Obama administration have known a lot more about the Libya attack than they’ve admitted? Unmanned Drone Observed Benghazi Terror Attack, Did Nothing “As the details of Obama’s cover-up slowly trickle out, we get the feeling by the time this is all done with we’ll find out Obama himself was personally observing the action in between fundraisers. Now we discover we had drone surveillance of the attack as it happened and did nothing. Maybe we were concerned about innocent civilians protesting a video getting hurt.”
BREAKING NEWS! Trump has an October surprise about Obama (Shaka to Carl): Donald Trump Claims Barack Obama Bombshell
Final Thought: “We need a foreign policy that distinguishes America’s friends from her enemies, and recognizes the true threats that we face.” Sarah Palin
GOD BLESS AMERICA – PASS THIS ON – REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER – 15 DAYS AND COUNTING!!
ALOHA, ALL!! Interesting. Obama came out swinging (like a doomed, desperate, has-been clinging to a life-line.) Against debate rules, he even had his own cheering section, thanks to Michelle and Candy. Obama, who promised a more “feisty” performance, seemed over-the-top most of the time. It didn’t go well. I could re-invent the wheel and write my own text, but my blogging buddy NEO said it all perfectly:
“OK, we had the second debate last night. They mostly covered domestic stuff, it’s important and you can find the breakdown all over the place this morning, if you’re interested. Here’s the thing, for the most part, it doesn’t matter. Obama‘s been President for nearly four years, we know what to expect. Romney/Ryan have good sensible plans which are unlikely to survive intact contact with Congress. Mostly what we are electing here is the man we think will be the better leader. It more about philosophy than anything else. Both men are known quantities.” Read more HERE
LOVE this reaction from Frank Luntz’s focus group in Las Vegas!!!
More debate re-cap:
Candy Crowley’s Moderator Role Under Scrutiny Before Tuesday Town Hall “According to the debate-format language in the agreement, after each audience question and two-minute responses from the candidates, Obama and Romney are expected to have an additional discussion facilitated by Crowley. Yet her participation is meant to be limited…Crowley seems unfazed by the behind-the-scenes maneuvering. Even after concerns were raised in the wake of the Malveaux interview, Crowley made additional comments that make clear she does not feel bound by any agreement between the commission and the Obama and Romney camps.”
Candy’s Not Dandy “…She interrupted Obama nine times, but she squelched Mitt Romney fully 28 times…But the most blatant evidence of bias was her instant “fact checking” of Romney’s quite correct insistence that Obama took weeks to call the Benghazi debacle a terrorist attack. She jumped to Obama’s defense, saying “he did call it an act of terror. But she was flat-out wrong.”
Michelle Obama Leads Applause For Candy Crowley “…it has emerged that the applause was not just started by impartial observers, as First Lady Michelle Obama was one of those who led the ovation for Crowley.” Of course! The rules for ordinary people don’t apply to Queen Michelle. Yep – there’s a picture to prove it:
Obama Begs Crowley For A Bailout On Pension Question “President Obama was clearly not happy with being questioned about his pension account. But instead of coming up with an answer, the President of the United States actually begged Candy Crowley to come to his rescue. It was quite a sad spectacle but Crowley did not bail him out. His answer was awkward and evasive. Glenn reacts in the clip above.”
Romney’s Secret Blowout “It was a disastrous debate for President Obama. He may have achieved firing up the base, but the base had already been fired up by Vice President Joe Biden’s bizarre performance in the vice presidential debate. He may have achieved not looking comatose, but instead he looked angry and puerile.”
Dick Morris’ take:
More good news from the mother of all swing states (Shaka to Scott). Tracking Ohio’s Absentee Ballot Requests “…what we know of early/absentee ballot requests in Ohio does not support the current narrative that Ohioan Democratic voters are as enthusiastic about voting in 2012 as they were in 2008. This in turn does not support the current narrative that the Democrats will do better in Ohio in 2012 than they did in 2008.”
Final Thought: “I am a hard-news journalist. That is what I do.” And: “Usually you kind of give the President a pass on leaking confidential stuff.” Candy Crowley
Rather contradictory statements, aren’t they Candy??????
GOD BLESS AMERICA – PASS THIS ON – REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER – 19 DAYS AND COUNTING!!
- Krauthammer: Candy Crowley Was Essentially Incorrect and Contaminated the Argument (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Biased CNN liberal moderator Candy Crowley admits Romney correct about Benghazi (winteryknight.wordpress.com)