Hump Day Report: Obama Plays Keystone Kop
ALOHA, ALL!! By now you’ve heard that 0bama rejected the Keystone Pipeline project, showing once again that for him, politics trumps what’s best for America. This obvious move to appease his enviro-leftist supporters is an outrage. Here are some facts you need to know (shaka to Ericka at The Heritage Foundation):
1) Obama’s “Forced” Keystone Decision Rejects Jobs, Energy, and Logic
- Obama’s decision to reject Keystone sent a clear message that special interest demands are of more importance than more energy and much-needed job creation.
- Building the pipeline would bring over 700,000 barrels of oil per day and directly create 20,000 truly shovel-ready jobs.
- The Canadian Energy Research Institute estimates that current pipeline operations and the addition of the Keystone XL pipeline would create 179,000 American jobs by 2035.
- Keystone XL also met 57 specific pipeline safety standard requirements created by DOS and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
- Senators Max Baucus (D–MT), Jon Tester (D–MT), Joe Manchin (D–WV), Ben Nelson (D–NE), Mark Begich (D–AK), and Mary Landrieu (D–LA) have all expressed support for the pipeline.
- The President’s own jobs council underscored the need for not only more oil, natural gas, and coal but also energy infrastructure project
2) Under Obama, Oil and Gas Production on Federal Lands Is Down 40%.
- The vast majority of America’s oil and gas production is happening on private lands in states like North Dakota, Alaska and Texas.
- Oil and natural gas production on federal lands is down by more than 40 percent compared to 10 years ago.
- Under the Obama administration, 2010 had the lowest number of onshore leases issued since 1984
- The Obama administration held only one offshore lease sale in 2011.